Monday 14 November 2011

Leather carving

So, I've decided to sign up for a five-week leather carving class being offered starting in January by our local leather store. I've been wanting to start learning some decoration and ornamentation techniques to make my projects a little nicer, so its a good opportunity. It also means I'll learn to use some of the gear that Avelyn bought me for Christmas last year that I haven't really been using.

Of course, so far most of my projects have been using garment weight leather so carving wouldn't really be helpful there. But I can see doing some heavier-weighted pouches, belts etc. I could also experiment a bit with carving hardened leather for armour, archery bracers etc.

If I do start working with heavier leather I'll probably need to work on some different stitch types, plus get some more specialized equipment. I'm working pretty basically right now with straight needles, an awl and a rotary punch.

Anyway, hopefully the class will be interesting. I may be missing rapier for those 5 weeks (rapier may be moving to Wednesdays, which is the same day as the course runs).

1 comment: